Port Fairy is well known to be a great fishing spot.
Common species fish caught are:
- Blue Eyed Trevally (considered to be one of the finest table fish to be caught in southern waters.)
- Gummy Sharks
- Leatherjackets (also known as Ocean Jacket)
- Mako Shark
- Morwong (also known as the Jackass Morwong)
- Nannygai (also known as the Bright Red Fish)
- Pike ( also called the ‘Snook’)
- School Shark (note the current status of ‘overfished’)
- Snapper (names start to overlap with Red Fish and Nannygai)
- Squid ( also known as Southern Calamari)
- Trevally (great for Sashimi and as Fish and Chips)
- Yellow-Tail King Fish. (highly valued for Sashimi, also excellent on the BBQ)
Not sure of bag limits?
Check this link for all your size and bag limits. The Victorian Fisheries Authority
Don’t know much about fishing but keen to learn?
Check out these great range of ‘How to’ videos made in Victoria for Victorian conditions.
Southern Coast Fishing Charters
Southern Coast Fishing Charters and Whale Watching Tours offer unique and exhilarating reef fishing and deep sea fishing experiences that will appeal to your adventurous spirit in creating a memorable Victorian fishing holiday.
Book your journey with Southern Coast Charters.
Jump on board a fishing charter off Port Fairy with Southern Coast Charters. Book now at reception or call Southern Coast Charters Direct on 0429 983 112 or 03 55983112 to make an enquiry today.
Book at www.southerncoastcharters.com.au and mention BIG4 to receive a free gift upon booking.
- Reef Fishing Adventures
- Game / Tuna Fishing Adventure – Bluefin Tuna and Albacore
- Seal Watching and Wildlife Watching Adventure